Friday 19 June 2009

Say the Words I Couldn’t Say

My mind wanders as I sit in transit. It wanders back to last night. It wanders back to last night when he held me in his arms and brushed his lips on my cheek. It wanders back to last night when he looked me in the eye and said… and said nothing relatively near those three little words that even I could not muster enough strength to say to his face. It was a dream to think that he would have more courage than I, knowing the kind of person that he is.

But it was more than just a cordial goodbye.

“I’ll miss you.” “I’ll see you soon.” The sweet words, the caresses, the kisses, the embraces—even the last glances back. They were all there. They were all absolutely perfect. More than once have I mused that our story was fit to be made into a film.

And yet the three words that make all the difference in the world remained elusive. I could not say it, neither could he.

“I love you.”

I love you.”

And I do. I do love him. But I can’t help but wondering just what is it that keeps me from saying it. I tried. Heaven knows I did. But all I could muster was “those three little words that you already know.”

I LOVE YOU.

My mind wanders as I sit in transit. It wanders back to last night. It wanders back to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment